Friday, April 8, 2011

Finding Peace in the Storm

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33 

I wish bad things never happened.  I wish, I wish, I wish.  Unfortunately, wishin' ain't gettin'.  The only thing we're promised is that Christ has overcome the world & He will love us through good times and bad. 

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 
"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4 
"In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God." 1 John 5:3-5

I found out this week there is a child in one of my children's classes whose mother is very sick and could possibly die.  Sadly, he is not the first child to have a parent die, and he won't be the last.  My brother was his age when our father passed away, and I remember the feelings we all had during that time.

You may not have something like this going on in your life, but we all have difficult times in our lives.  Who do you turn to when tough times hit?  The only One who can give you peace in the middle of life's storms is Christ.  God asks so little of us.  He wants us:  our love, devotion, our very selves.  But what does that look like?  It is knowing that everything you do, you do for Him.  It's knowing that nothing can separate you from His love.  It's giving Him the best you have in everything.  Christ went through it all so you wouldn't be alone.

Christ is the peace in our storms.  Lay your burdens at his feet and rest.

Lord Jesus, right now I am troubled.  You know my heart and how I feel.  My heart is burdened.  Forgive me for trying to fix it all on my own.  Forgive me for my selfishness.  You know me.  I know you went through it all so you would understand how I felt.  Thank you Jesus for doing that for me.  You are my refuge when life is coming at me.  You are my strength when I am weak.  You lead me and I will follow you.  Give me your peace while I am going through this trial, and show me what you want me to learn.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

In Him,
~ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment