Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Legacy

The way God works is so amazing to me.  I will have lots different things happen in the course of a day that I may think are not related, but God shows me His single strand that holds them all together.

This morning as I was reading in the one year bible, I was getting distracted.  The first reading was from 1 Chronicles 2:18-4:4.  This passage is all about linage.  Who was the father of so-and-so, who was born of whom...it can get boring.  (especially if you can't pronounce half the names correctly.)  I started thinking that I really need one huge gigantic family tree, that would really have helped me a lot.  What God planted on my heart was not the names but the legacy they left.  The legacy through:  who and how they worshipped; their family; and their service.

Later this morning I was privileged to stand by a sweet friend and sister-in-Christ as she said her earthly goodbyes to her loving grandfather.  Her PawPaw's pastor talked about legacy.  (coincidence...I think not!)  Her PawPaw left a wonderful legacy.  He loved Jesus and showed it through his actions and words; he showed his family he loved them by the kind of man he was; and he served his country in World War II and then served his church faithfully for many decades.  Legacy....

I love the song Legacy by Nichole Nordeman.  It's not anything about me that creates my legacy.  It's about who I am in Christ and what I do with it.  Did I share Him with others or horde him?  Do others see my love for Him or love for myself?  Do I give His love freely away or make people try to earn it?  There are so many ways to carry out the sharing and love of Christ, and each one of those leaves a legacy.  A marking through time where you can see God smiling and saying:  "good job y'all, you made me proud today".  What will my legacy be?  When it is time for me to leave my earthly home, what will others say about me?

                                 I know I want to leave a legacy, what about you?

Dearest Jesus, You showed me what legacy is.  You left Your mark on this earth through your love of God the father and people.  Help me to love like You do.  Help me to not grow tired of doing what is right.  May my words be life-giving, my hands be uplifted in praise, and the words of my mouth praise and share Your name with others.  My want is for all of this to bring you honor and glory forever.  May this become my legacy.  In Jesus name, ~Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment