Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Meeting with God

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all you heart.
  Jeremiah 29:13

Have you ever had true encounter with God?  A connection that you know is of God?  When you have one you’ll know.  You know because it gives you so much joy & breaks your heart all at the same time.

I had an encounter with Him today.   Oh it was so precious!  I was meeting with a group of people to pray for Birmingham & Shelby County.  Can I tell you, God showed up.  His presence was moving in the room where we were praying.  He was pouring scripture into my heart & wowing me with His Word!

God is not some unfeeling deity that wants nothing to do with us.  He loves us more than we will ever be able to understand with our little human brains.  He loves us so much that He was willing to allow His son to die for us.  I love you guys, but no offense; I don’t love you enough to let one of my children die for you.  I’m selfish in that way, but not God.  He knew we needed someone to stand in the gap for us.  It is sin that causes the gap and separates us from God.  Before Christ came, the Israelites sacrificed animals to have the blood atonement needed to cover their sins, but for us Christ came and filled that gap.  Hebrews 9:12 tells us Christ entered not with the blood of sheep and goats, but with His own blood obtaining eternal redemption. 

Before I went to pray I needed to prepare my heart.  While I did this, God truly broke it.  It was not a bad thing.  He broke it to show me my own sin first and foremost, so I could repent and be forgiven.  He also did it so I could have compassion for our city, for people who have never heard the wonderful news of Jesus, and so I could have the unity with other believers Christ has called us to.

The only thing I have to stand on is Jesus.  Not my church, not my any group I’m involved with, not my friends, and not doctrine.  Only Jesus.  Without Him, I am nothing. 

As we prayed, you could feel the Holy Spirit in the room.  In the past and today when I have had a true encounter with Christ, I always feel joy.  It is so hard to put what is of heaven into everyday words, but I’m going to try.  Imagine you have a 2 liter bottle of Coke.  You decide to shake it up, and I mean really shake it up hard.  Now, you’re going to open the top.  What happens?  It spews everywhere doesn’t it?  It might even continue to bubble up and over after the initial part has spewed out.  This is how I would describe the feeling God gives me when I encounter Him.  The joy bubbles through my heart into all of me & I just want to share it with others.  The bible says the Joy of the Lord is our strength.  Why joy?  Why not something else?  I think it’s because joy brings peace even in the midst of heartache and suffering. 

I am thankful for the Lord.  I am thankful that He didn’t leave us to fend for ourselves, but instead gave us Jesus to take away our sins, and the Holy Spirit to be our helper.  I am thankful for the Joy of the Lord.  I am thankful for His promises.  I am blessed in so many ways, and I owe everything to Him. 

Lord, you have said that:  “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  What a great promise!  We are to:  humble, pray, seek & turn.  God in response will forgive and heal.  May you encounter the risen Savior today.  May you feel His love and joy fill your heart.  May you share it because we live in hurting world that is in need of a savior.

In Him,
~Ashley

1 comment: