Saturday, March 5, 2011

Seasons of Life

Next Wednesday starts the most holy time of the year for Christians.  We begin the season of Lent.  Lent is the time between Ash Wednesday and the Saturday before Easter.  It lasts for 40 day, excluding Sundays, and it represents the 40 days Jesus fasted, prayed, and was tempted in the wilderness.  (Matthew 4:1-3; Luke 4:1-3)

As I was reading & studying what Lent is, I found it odd how some sites defined what it is.  They said Lent is a time to:  "reflect on the significance of Christ’s death, examine our hearts, and confess our sins. It can be a time of spiritual cleansing and renewal."  (http://reflections.cyberpastor.net/bible/what-is-lent/0)  Another site said it is a time of moderation. 

I had to ask myself one main question.  Why do they say Lent is the time to focus on these things?  In my opinion, it's not meant to be confined to one time of year.  It should be joy to:  focus on Christ's death, examine my heart, confess my sins, and practice what they are calling moderation.  Doing what God has called me to do is not a burden.  If it ever becomes a burden, it is my responsibility to ask God to show me the areas in my life I'm not living within His will.  Once He shows me my sins, I confess them.  It's all for my benefit. 

During this season of Lent, I will focus on the wonderful gift Christ is.  I will focus on what each part of what He went through means for me, because each part of His torture, cruxifiction, and resurrection have specific meanings and promises for every Christian.  One prayer I have for myself and for you is that we will not confine what we do during Lent to the 40 days before Easter.  We are Easter people because Christ is risen, and we are Easter people all year long, not just 40 days during the year. 

I'm including a recipe for Resurrection Cookies.  If you've never made them before it's a lot of fun.  It takes a little time, but really worth it.  You make them the Saturday night before Easter Sunday, and they will be ready Easter.  Just follow the directions, it's easy.

Live in Christ and live free.  Easter is a time where we remember who we are and who we live for.  We are made alive in Christ.

In Him,
~ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment