Monday, February 21, 2011

A Light in the darkness

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made…In him was life, and life was the light of all mankind.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness had not overcome it.”  John 1:1-5

We want to be a generation that is unashamed of Jesus & the gospel.  Did you know that the word gospel means ‘good news’?  Who is our good news?  You know it…Jesus!  The bible says in John 1:14 that ‘Jesus is the word made flesh.’ The bible also tells us in John 1:1-5 that Christ, the Word, was with God in the beginning, and that all things are made through Him.   You are here because of Jesus.  All of us exist because of Him; and we exist for Him.   You are His because of His great love for you.  When they asked Him how much He loved you, He spread His arms out the length of the cross.

When you think of His love for you and me that way it is pretty powerful.  Jesus wants us to love Him & love others.  That’s it.  He knows that if we do those two things, which can be hard sometimes, then we are doing what He wants us to do.  When we serve out of love, it’s not hard.  It doesn’t feel like work. 

I remember a time when I felt like I needed to be doing a lot of “church work” to make God love me.  I was so miserable.  I was busy and stressed out.  Someone told me that if you were busy you were:  Burdened Under Satan’s Yoke.  God doesn’t want us busy, he wants us free.  (2 Corinthians 3:17)  He gives us gifts (natural abilities to do something we like) so we can find our passion and fulfill it.  For example:  I love to see when kids have that moment when they understand Jesus.  I want to see your generation be on fire for Him.  I want to be a part of that.  I love it!  I love to watch you worship & study His word.  You are difference makers for Christ, even at your age!   When I get to do stuff for Highland’s Kids, it doesn’t feel like work; it’s fun. 

What is God calling you to do?  How can you shine His light where ever you are? 

In Him,
 ~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment